Pressure washers for driveway cleaning are one-stop-shop equipment for any long-lasting driveway. After the first year or two, your driveway will look great, but if you don’t keep it clean and maintained, it could start to look dingy. With the perfect pressure washer, you can make your driveway appear brand new again.
The best pressure washer for driveway cleaning needs about 3000psi. The higher the pressure, the easier it is to remove stains on your driveway. Any stain, including paint, varnish overspray, and motor oil dribbles, is likely to appear on a well-used driveway. Pressure washers remove these stains by blasting a focused, high-pressure stream of hot or cold water through the stain. Its fast-moving water smashes the dirty surface with a continual stream of tiny hammer blows as it travels at high velocity and dislodges every dirt and dust.
If using a pressure washer for your driveway is something you are considering, this article will guide you through its benefits and the best brands to purchase for your driveway or patio cleaning.
What Are Pressure Washers, and How Do They Work?
Basic driveway maintenance helps you keep your driveway in good shape. A pressure washer is one essential tool you need to have around if you have concrete, asphalt, or other paving material installed on your driveway. A pressure washer is a mechanical washer that delivers a stream of water used in cleaning driveways, patios, deckings, or walkways to remove months of paint, dirt, mud, and dust.
The pressure washer for driveway cleaning contains an electric motor or a gas engine that powers the pump that pushes the water out at high pressure through a nozzle. This high-pressure stream of water washes away any accumulated dirt from the surface of your driveways.
What Kind Of Pressure Washer Do You Need For A Driveway?
If you have decided to purchase a pressure washer for your driveway and are still determining which pressure washer is best for driveways, here is what you need to know. For driveway cleaning, you need a high-quality pressure washer that can deliver at least three thousand pounds per square inch (PSI). You need to know that your pressure washer needs to be strong enough to deliver high PSI for the best result. Many driveway owners don’t consider the psi when purchasing a pressure washer for driveway cleaning. Again, the higher the PSI, the more efficient your washer is.
Will a 1600 PSI Pressure Washer Clean Concrete?
Concrete and asphalt driveways are tough to clean, require more cleaning power, and can handle a pressure washer of 1600 PSI. Before purchasing a pressure washer for your driveway, confirm the nozzle and the motor type. The cleaning speed and the effect you desire to see will depend upon the type of nozzle supplied by the machine. Also, a 1600 PSI with an underpowered motor will not be efficient for your concrete driveway.
You will need a turbo nozzle for your 1600 PSI pressure washer. If you already have a 1600 PSI with an underpowered motor, you must hold the spray nozzle and bring it closer to the concrete before achieving a good result. This process might be helpful but will defeat the purpose of having an efficient pressure washer.
Best PSI Pressure Washer For Concrete
The best pressure washer you need for your concrete driveway is a gas-powered washer. A gas power washer can handle a larger driveway and clean it faster than an electric-powered washer. A gas-power washer is also stronger and more affordable when repairing a damaged part. Also, a gas power washer is a good heavy-duty pressure washer that can handle your dirty driveway cleaning and remove all the dirt and stains. For convenience, versatility, and efficiency, we recommend a 3000 PSI pressure washer for your concrete driveway.
Can a pressure washer damage asphalt or concrete?
We have ascertained the importance of a pressure washer and how its use in a household can continue. Let’s look at the long-term damage of a pressure washer on two of the most common driveway materials. This will give you a clearer image of the best decision for your household and how to conquer your limitations.
Use of a Pressure Washer on Asphalt Driveways:
Asphalt can be pressure washed, but for a complete service that won’t damage your asphalt, you need to walk over your asphalt and look for problems, including
cracks and gouges, to mark out. Marking them out will help you avoid them when pressure washing your asphalt.
Pressure washing can make existing issues worse because of its force. Before pressure washing, try to have an asphalt contractor correct existing problems.
Use of a Pressure Washer on Concrete Driveways:
If you power wash your concrete once a month, it’s more prone to deterioration and vulnerable to harm because concrete should only be power cleaned once a year.
When you want the best of both worlds (a clean driveway and little to no concrete deterioration), the best way to go is to pick a pressure washer with low pressure and focus more on using enough cleaning agents rather than exerting pressure. You should also ensure the pressure exerted is uniform across floors; concentrating on a spot could cause deterioration. With this technique, you won’t need to power clean annually. You can power wash once every month.
The Best 10 Pressure Washers To Clean Driveways
We have outlined the perks of a good pressure washer for driveway cleaning and what you should look out for. A piece of information can only be complete with a good range of examples to guide you. Now, look at some of the best pressure washers you can purchase for your driveway needs in 2023.
SIMPSON: MegaShot 3200 PSI 2.5 GPM Gas Cold Water Pressure Washer withdraw HONDA GC190 Engine (49-State)
SIMPSON® MegaShot Series is excellent driveway cleaning.
- The HONDA GC190 is simple to start and use.
- Axial cam pump from OEM Technologies that is dependable and requires minimal maintenance.
- MorFlex 1/4-In x 25-Ft high-pressure hose is flexible, abrasion-resistant, and non-marring.
- Not the most suitable for commercial purposes.
Generac: XC Series 3600 PSI 2.6 GPM Commercial Grade Gas Pressure Washer (49-State/CSA)
Pressure washers from the XC Series offer commercial-grade cleaning performance that facilitates the quicker and more effective completion of projects.
- Flexible 3-Wheel Design.
- Handling bar that folds up for storage and transportation.
- Able to easily navigate difficult job site terrain.
- Pretty expensive
DEWALT: 4400 PSI 4.0 GPM Gas Cold Water Pressure Washer with DEWALT 420cc Engine
DEWALT are high-performance pressure washers for driveways, but they can also clean vinyl siding, wood structures, and equipment.
- Dependable AAA triplex plunger industrial pumps.
- High-pressure steel-braided hose.
- The hefty frame is made of welded steel.
- They are pretty heavy in comparison to other pressure washers.
SIMPSON: Aluminum 4200 PSI 4.0 GPM Gas Cold Water Pressure Washer with HONDA GX390 Engine (49-State)
The SIMPSON Aluminum series frame is perfect for business owners who specialize in cleaning decks, restoring wood, preparing paint, removing graffiti, and other expert cleaning services.
- Dependable CAT triplex plunger pump for the industry.
- Quick-connect fittings and a polyurethane outer jacket; durable abrasion-resistant hose.
- Aircraft-grade aluminum frames are lighter in weight.
- No foreseen cons for this product.
SIMPSON: Powershot 4400 PSI 4.0 GPM Gas Cold Water Pressure Washer with CRX 420cc Engine
The SIMPSON PowerShot Series is made of solid steel and is powerful yet incredibly small, making it simple to transport, set up, and load.
- 420cc SIMPSON engine with low oil shutdown function.
- Ease of assembly.
- Powder-coated steel frame structure for durability and corrosion resistance.
- It is created to meet the strict requirements of the cleaning professional.
SIMPSON: PowerShot 4000 PSI 3.5 GPM Gas Cold Water Pressure Washer with 270cc Engine (49 State)
The SIMPSON PowerShot Series is perfect for business owners who specialize in cleaning decks, restoring wood, preparing paint, removing graffiti, and other expert cleaning services.
- Engine for a Honda GX270 with a low oil shutdown function
- PowerBoost technology is used in the dependable AAA industrial triplex plunger pump to deliver increased pressure at the nozzle.
- Easy to use.
- Best for commercial use.
Westinghouse: WPX Max 3400 PSI 2.6 GPM Cold Water Gas Pressure Washer with Soap Tank and 5 Quick Connect Tips
This Pressure Washer handles even the toughest cleaning tasks with ease. It’s designed for vigorous, heavy-duty cleaning and features a maintenance-free axial cam pump and a powerful 4-cycle OHV Westinghouse engine.
- 212 cc 4-cycle heavy-duty horizontal shaft Engine from Westinghouse with a 1 Gal. fuel tank.
- Ideal for thoroughly cleaning windows, automobiles, patio furniture, and more.
- Axial cam pump that delivers 3,400 PSI and 2.6 GPM of pressure without requiring maintenance
- No foreseen cons for this product.
A-iPower: 2800 PSI 2.4 GPM Kohler Cold Water Gas Pressure Washer
The A-iPower PWF2800KV may handle even the most difficult tasks. It produces 2,800 psi of high-pressure cleaning force at 2.4 gallons per minute thanks to a dependable Kohler 173cc gasoline engine.
- It is easy to use and ideal for cleaning patios, automobiles, RVs, gutters, stucco, roofing, walls, and other areas near your home.
- An ergonomic grip handle ensures that you can always work quickly and effectively.
- The pressure washer has an onboard accessory store for enhanced convenience.
- No foreseen cons for this product.
A-iPower: 2,700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer
A-iPower APW2700C generates 2,700 psi of High-Pressure cleaning power at 2.3 Gal. per minute of High Flow thanks to a dependable OHV 196cc gasoline engine that feeds into an Axial Cam Pump.
- Strong, deep-cleaning water pressure of 2,700 PSI and 2.3 GPM is ideal for decks, sidewalks, siding, fences, railings, garage floors, external walls, automobiles, and patio furniture.
- Easy to maintain.
- Best for heavy-duty applications.
Sun Joe: 2080 MAX PSI 1.65 GPM 13 Amp Cold Water Electric Pressure Washer
Utilize Sun Joe’s SPX2599-MAX 13.0 Amp Electric Pressure Washer’s next-generation grime-fighting technology to complete your most challenging driveway cleaning tasks.
- Garden hose adapter, 20-foot H pressure hose, 35-foot power cord with GFCI protection, needle clean-out tool
- Nozzles with fast connections at 0°, 15°, and 40° take on various cleaning tasks
- Utility bristle brush and powerful turbo nozzle are incorporated.
- Not as portable as the gas pressure washers.
What Do You Put On The Driveway Before Pressure Washing?
Before taking that pressure washer and storming all over your driveway, here are some things you need to do.
- Make sure that the area is rid of any debris. Clearing the area is done to ensure nothing is kicked up during cleaning that could harm you or the nearby property.
- Use a garden hose to moisten the entire area surrounding the cleaning site.
- Put on safety goggles and rubber gloves to protect yourself.
- Combine 0.6 gallons of pool chlorine in liquid form with 2 ounces of Dawn dish soap and add more water.
- This solution is known as pretreatment and is usually allowed to sit for ten minutes before hosing down with your pressure washer.
We have presented you with all the best pressure washers for driveways. All you have to do is find the best one with our provided information. So when summertime rolls around again, be sure you’re equipped with the best pressure washer and give your driveway a new look with a clean wash.